Can't edit(remove) lap markers created during ride

Please report any problems with this Forum, or make suggestions for improvement

Can't edit(remove) lap markers created during ride

Postby Troy_D on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:54 am

As can happen on occasion when one is racing, one can forget to hit the lap button, and I've also inadvertently put a lap marker in where it is not needed, which requires removal later. In using Ascent, my problem arises when I want to remove these markers created on the GPS unit. I've not been able to work out how to remove these lap markers - maybe I am I missing something, can any one assist me? I am using a Garmin Edge 705 GPS.

Such a feature is also important when I need to add two laps to create a single new lap or, when I want to create a new lap which lies across two existing laps that were created on the GPS unit (i.e. create a lap which starts part way into lap 1 and ends part way into lap 2). Without being able to remove the exsiting lap markers I'm unable to get any summary data for the new lap. If Ascent is unable to provide editing facilities at this level it really limits the utility of the software.
Troy_D

Re: Can't edit(remove) lap markers created during ride

Postby rob on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:37 pm

The easiest way is to select the lap in the main browser, and then choose Edit/Remove Lap Marker from the menubar menu, or use SHIFT-CMD-R
rob
Site Admin

Postby Troy_D on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:49 am

Hi Rob, thanks for your reply.

The problem is that a lap marker inserted when using the GPS out on the road cannot be removed from the ride datafile in Ascent. That is, I can see the lap marker that I added on the ride (when I pressed the lap marker button on the GPS unit) when viewing the ride in the 'Activity Graph' of Ascent - but I cannot remove these lap markers, as the 'Remove Lap Marker' option in the Edit Menu is unavailable (i.e. the option is greyed out).

Another issue I've noticed is that the 'Auto-split inactivity threshold' feature in the preferences is not working.

Troy
Troy_D

Still unable to remove lap markers created on GPS!!

Postby Troy_D on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:15 am

Rob,

Note, this is a repeat of an earlier unanswered post:

No, The problem is that a lap marker inserted WHEN USING THE GPS UNIT OUT ON THE ROAD cannot be removed from the ride data-file in Ascent.

That is, I can see the lap marker that I added on the ride (i.e. when I pressed the lap marker button on the GPS unit) when viewing the ride in the 'Activity Graph' of Ascent - but I cannot remove these lap markers so created, as the 'Remove Lap Marker' option in the Edit Menu is unavailable (i.e. the option is greyed out). Is this a limitation in the software? will it be a feature added later?, or should I be able to edit these lap markers?

Another issue I've noticed is that the 'Auto-split inactivity threshold' feature in the preferences does not work. This is one of the reasons I need to be able remove lap markers inserted via or by the GPS unit.

Some advice/assistance/explanation of the problem would be appreciated.

Troy
Troy_D

Postby rob on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi Troy

Ascent does not differentiate between lap markers inserted during a ride, and those you insert later. Both should be deletable.

This is working for me -- are you sure you have the lap selected in the browser before invoking the "Remove Lap Marker" command in the Edit Menu? When the lap is selected, it should be highlighted in the other views of the main browser (map, profile, splits)

If still no joy, please select the activity, right (or control) click, and use the "Email..." feature to send the activity to support@montebellosoftware.com.

In the mean time, there's another way to delete lap markers: bring up the Activity Detail window for the activity, click somewhere to front of the lap marker to position the yellow ball, and use the popup menu (right or control-click) to remove the next lap marker.

Regarding the auto-split feature not working -- can you please email an activity where it failed to work, and include the value you have the threshold set to in the email message?

Thanks
rob
Site Admin

Return to Forum Issues