Power Statistics (Hunter/Coggan)

The place to post what you would like to see added to Ascent

Power Statistics (Hunter/Coggan)

Postby mattmajka on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Please consider adding Normalized Power, Intensity Factor, Training Stress Score, ATL, CTL, etc as described in "Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Hunter Allen and M.D. Andrew Coggan".
mattmajka

Re: Power Statistics (Hunter/Coggan)

Postby jallawalla on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:13 pm

I've only just got the book and haven't worked it all out yet (just enjoying looking at the power output numbers from the new powertap hub)

so, yes please to this feature.
jallawalla

Postby oshloel on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:01 am

I think we'll see these and other power related features work their way into Ascent over time. I've had several email exchanges with Rob about what those of us with power meters would like to see and he is very interested in developing that aspect of Ascent.

Rick
Rick
oshloel

Postby mattmajka on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:37 pm

That would be perfect! If we can get some of the power statistics into 2.0 along with the planning aspects of a journal I can get rid of WKO+ and Parallels....
mattmajka

Postby phips on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:05 pm

Yup, I'm another one who'd love to see TSS/IF etc. in Ascent. Training Peaks has some great analysis features, but my entire training diary and regime is based around Ascent. And I'm a Mac user, so running up VMware just for Training Peaks is a PITA :)

Ascent is a great bit of software that can only get better. Really good power analysis would make it a killer app.
phips

Postby jallawalla on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 pm

Given that someone has said that they have exchanged emails do we have a list of specific functions/features that we could help to prioritise?

or could we suggest specific screens/graphs that we would like?

i.e. could we help move this forward in any way?

Cheers,
Allen
jallawalla

Postby Nick.Murphy on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 am

I my opinion this is the most important feature the software needs. There is a huge market out there of disaffected mac users with power meters having to boot up windows so that they can use WKO+. They continue to do this despite Ascents great features because of the advanced power analysis within the WKO+ software. Most users interested in the science of coaching and training will want these features before they can ditch WKO+.

Nick
Nick.Murphy

Postby oshloel on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:08 pm

I'd say by all means suggest what you'd like to see. At his request, I sent Rob a fairly extensive list, at least from my perspective, of power related features that fell into three categories: 1) extensions of Ascent's current power features mostly involving calculation and display of kjs, time in power zones, etc. and other power related data; 2) new features related to individual activities such as calculation of NP, TSS, IF, best 5 sec, 10 sec, 1 min, etc power for an activity, etc; and 3) new features involving analysis across multiple activities such as display of personal bests, graphing of HR vs Power zones, display of kjs, TSS, etc over a time period, etc.

I don't presume my list to be all inclusive by any means, so I'm sure suggestions from others would be welcome and repeat requests for a specific feature might help Rob prioritize his efforts.

Rick
Rick
oshloel

Postby jallawalla on Wed May 06, 2009 6:27 pm

I think your prioritisation is good. It looks to me like you've chosen the easiest to implement first so that we can get a features bit by bit in each version. Personally I like comparing all my rides for 5 sec, 30 sec, etc. average bests, but I definitely agree with your list. I have been using poweragent and that seems to have a relatively simple, but useful set of features.
jallawalla

Postby richfletcher on Sun May 31, 2009 10:36 pm

I'm using the Garmin 705 with a Cyclops PowerTap, but I'm not getting a power graph. The PT data is transferring to Ascent, but not displaying as a graph. I've searched the FAQ and the forum and only get threads talking about power features people would like to see, yet the Ascent website data clearly says the latest version shows power graphs.

I love the software, by the way, and have used it for almost three years with my 305. Having bought the 705, how do I get the power numbers to appear the same way the HR and cadence graphs display in Activity View?

I do get the numbers on the HUD, but that's not as helpful as a graph from a training standpoint.

What am I doing wrong? Or, if the graphing is something you're working on, cool. But since it's on the Ascent list of features perhaps I'm missing something?

Cheers,
Rich Fletcher
richfletcher

Postby oshloel on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:07 pm

The Activity Graph can display power. Have you clicked on the disclosure triangle on the lower left of an Activity Graph and selected the checkbox to display power from the slideout pane? There's lots of options there if you've not looked before.

Rick
Rick
oshloel

Postby rhys on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Just wanted to add a +1 for this!
rhys

Postby MitusRider on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:23 pm

The missing Power elements are absolutely what is stopping me purchasing/converting over to Ascent from SportTracks. I love Ascents HUD features and now the Equipment has been added that's another one checked.

As well as FTP, NP, TSS, CP etc and Watts per Kg*, I'd also like to see:

Graphs for:
Time spent in Power zones
Power distribution (ideally in user definable bins, but something like 20 watt bins would do)
An ability to track your FTP over time (months) and graph it so you can see if you are getting stronger (or not) over time.

A Coggan calculator for zones based on your FTP (a bit like the Karvonen one for the heart rate) so you don't have to manually work it out.

* Requires an ability to keep track of your weight over time.
MitusRider

Postby phips on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:05 pm

oshloel wrote:The Activity Graph can display power. Have you clicked on the disclosure triangle on the lower left of an Activity Graph and selected the checkbox to display power from the slideout pane? There's lots of options there if you've not looked before.

Rick

Hi,

And this is a great addition to the current release. However, instead of a 30min window, could we have 20min? It'd be much more useful when working with the likes of Allen/Coggan, Chris Carmichael or Joe Friel's stuff.

Thanks!
phips

Postby MitusRider on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Yes a 20 min option would make a lot more sense.

Does anyone know if the proper power analysis stuff is likely to be added to Ascent in the near future?

Thanks
MitusRider

Next

Return to Feature Requests