Map View and the path color-coding

The place to post what you would like to see added to Ascent

Map View and the path color-coding

Postby grismann on Wed May 19, 2010 1:58 am

I have a problem with the color-coding of the path in the Map Detail, because usually when I go by bike, I'm between 0m and 600m, and when I go skiing, I'm between 1800m and 3000m. The problem is that I have to choose the range of different zones, and it doesn't work well for the diferent situations.
I know that there is a program, CompeGPS (I know that it's only for windows), wich automatically uses the maximum and minimum height as ends of the gradient of colors in each track independently of the others.
This feature can be usefull for the other preferences like speed, gradient, etc.

Here I share two examples of that program to show you better what I try to explain.
ImageImage

(Sorry for my english, I'm from Spain and I don't speak very well)
grismann

Re: Map View and the path color-coding

Postby leoszilard on Thu May 20, 2010 11:59 pm

Scaling the colors as you suggest would have to apply outside of the "zone" parameters. In terms of zone parameters, you're free to adjust those, and they simply show what zone you're in at a given point. It likely works well for people that use zones.

What you suggest would be a separate view, having nothing to do with zones, and I agree that it would be interesting and quite useful. Its implementation would be simple:
  1. The range of values in a given category would be normalized. That is, for example, if altitude ran from 100 to 1000, it'd be normalized such that it ran from 0 to 1
  2. The normalized range is then scaled according to the number of colors available. If we assume there are 256 colors available, then the normalized values would be multiplied by 256. Decimals would be rounded to a nearest whole value.
  3. Values can be scaled over any color range desirable.
I do think this should be an option on the map view.

Another option, which would really blow my skirt up, if I wore a skirt, that is, would be a 3D space curve of a ride. That is you'd see a path, in 3D, that followed the route both in direction and elevation. Here's an example. I think the elevations in the example clutter it up too much and that a scaled by color path would be better. Nonetheless, I think it's the best view of a route that I've ever seen. It's even better than a Google Earth fly-through. Actually, this is super easy to do in a program (I'm a Matlab guy, and I know it would be a doddle in Matlab): all you have to do is a 3D plot in (longitude, latitude, scaled elevation). Hmmm. I guess it's time to do some Matlab programming......
leoszilard

Postby rob on Fri May 21, 2010 1:25 pm

Very cool ideas. Thanks for posting!
rob
Site Admin

Postby grismann on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:09 pm

The problem appears when you change the usual place to make the activity. For example, when I go to bike usually the range of heights is between 0 and 600m, but when I go to ski the range of heights changes absolutly, between 1800 and 2500m (in Catalonia mountains).
It is because of that I prefer an automatic display of the color path, also it happens with the speed and the diferent kind of activities/sports (walk, bike, ski, etc…) Of course that it can be keep the manual configuration, just it is needed a button to switch between manual and automatic.
grismann

Return to Feature Requests