Feedback on comparison feature

The place to post what you would like to see added to Ascent

Feedback on comparison feature

Postby tknelson on Sun May 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi Rob,

First off, thanks for pushing forward with development of Ascent again. Although I have been a happy user these past months, it did seem that the desktop app was languishing a bit while the focus was elsewhere. Ascent is a really great app, but some additional features and tweaks could make it a lot better.

The ability to compare rides is a great feature for me, and one that I have requested on more than one occasion. I am really thrilled to see it in action and the fundamental implementation is great. In particular, the implementation of the map views on the left seems just right to me.

One thing that I believe would make it a lot more valuable would be the ability to compare some data for the two rides graphically. At the moment, the only thing that can really be compared visually is speed, and that must be done by aligning the rides and then scanning back and forth quickly to see where one ride was gaining/losing on the other, but this is clearly not the best solution and doesn't work for anything but speed. Comparing the plotted data visually is impossible since axis ranges vary from ride to ride.

For example, I would like to be able to see on the same axis the speed, HR or cadence of two rides to try to identify where I was faster and why. Did I work harder? Pick a different gear? Another way that would accentuate differences would be to plot the difference in some data series between two rides (delta speed, delta HR, delta cadence) although this really only works for comparing two rides.

Here is my interface idea:
1.) Make the data that are shown along the top of each graph selectable
2.) User selects data from two rides
3.) A pair of buttons in the interface: one to plot data together, another to plot the difference, grayed out unless only data from two rides are selected.
4.) A new plot appears at the top or bottom aligned with the the rides
5.) The new plot has an entry box or pull-down to select the smoothing: important in finding meaningful differences.
6.) The frame for the new plot can be resized or closed.

Does this make sense? Is it doable?

Cheers,
Tim

P.S. Another feature I have been wanting is to be able to plot VAM just like any other data. I do a lot of climbing, and this ability would be very useful to me. I spend a lot of time looking at VAM in the splits graph, but that is really the wrong tool for the job.

P.P.S. Another comparison feature related to the above would be to enable the user to configure what data is shown by the numbers at the top of each graph in the comparison window. For me, this would ideally include VAM, as I would also like to be able to compare VAM just as other data.
tknelson

Re: Feedback on comparison feature

Postby rob on Mon May 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Great ideas, thanks!
rob
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests