Pedal Rev Count

The place to post what you would like to see added to Ascent

Pedal Rev Count

Postby cgarch on Mon May 10, 2010 12:27 am

Sometime ago (well many years) while watching the TdF, I recalled hearing a statement attributed to a team manager wherein he noted that the race is often won by the rider making the fewest pedal strokes. Without debating the merit of that assertion, would it be possible to add a feature that counts the total pedal strokes in a ride? Do any of the current GPSes even do this?
Craig
Santa Rosa, CA
Home of the Terrible Two
cgarch

Re: Pedal Rev Count

Postby oshloel on Mon May 10, 2010 2:07 am

Not to my knowledge, but I think you could do it manually without too much trouble if you really are so inclined. You simply need your average cadence, INCLUDING zero cadence time periods, which you could then multiply by the number of active time minutes in the ride or activity. I haven't looked at Ascent's preferences, but I'm pretty sure you can set the Garmin's preferences to display an average cadence including zeros.

Rick
Rick
oshloel

Postby cgarch on Mon May 10, 2010 2:44 am

That certainly is doable. What I'm probably getting at, do cadence units actually count pedal revs or do they sample and store an average or do they do both? S'pose that would determine the feasibility of obtaining this info. My long time suspicion is that they sample and average, just as they do for heart rates.
Craig
Santa Rosa, CA
Home of the Terrible Two
cgarch

Postby leoszilard on Mon May 10, 2010 5:24 am

cgarch wrote:Sometime ago (well many years) while watching the TdF, I recalled hearing a statement attributed to a team manager wherein he noted that the race is often won by the rider making the fewest pedal strokes. Without debating the merit of that assertion, would it be possible to add a feature that counts the total pedal strokes in a ride? Do any of the current GPSes even do this?

It's possible to do just about anything. There's no scientific basis for the team manager's assertion, and I can't think of a single computer that does such a calculation. The pro's don't have access to such information. It's important to note that pro's, almost to a rider, use power meters in races.

How would such a stroke counting feature be used? How would you determine the optimum number of pedal strokes, especially when you'd have to factor in all of the changes in gear ratio during the race?
leoszilard

Postby axiom95 on Mon May 10, 2010 11:57 am

I think that the total pedal strokes would be nice to know (maybe not all that useful but interesting). My old Cateye cycling computer gave this information as part of the ride totals information. Quite eye opening really.
Seven Axiom SG
w/ Campy Record 11
Garmin Edge 500, 305
GSC-10
axiom95

Return to Feature Requests