Tame theft of user focus

The place to post what you would like to see added to Ascent

Tame theft of user focus

Postby nimpoc on Wed May 05, 2010 7:59 am

When launching the app (Ascent), I often change to another app (FF, Chrome, Address Book, etc) while it's loading. It would be very nice if once loaded, Ascent wouldn't steal user focus from the frontmost app. Often I am typing an email, etc, when this happens and things get messy...

Simply bouncing the Dock icon to indicate the app is ready for the user would be great.

This effect is well described in this post:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10350897-263.html

Thanks!
nimpoc

Re: Tame theft of user focus

Postby leoszilard on Wed May 05, 2010 1:01 pm

What do you mean by "steal focus?" When I open Ascent, it opens behind whatever app I'm currently using. I don't see where it's stealing focus. Whether I'm using Safari, Matlab, or Word, what's going on in windows behind my active window doesn't bother me. I'd much prefer that Ascent maintain its function when opening as it does now.

nimpoc wrote:When launching the app (Ascent), I often change to another app (FF, Chrome, Address Book, etc) while it's loading. It would be very nice if once loaded, Ascent wouldn't steal user focus from the frontmost app. Often I am typing an email, etc, when this happens and things get messy...

Simply bouncing the Dock icon to indicate the app is ready for the user would be great.

This effect is well described in this post:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10350897-263.html

Thanks!
leoszilard

Re: Tame theft of user focus

Postby nimpoc on Tue May 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this... Got a new i5book!
leoszilard you seem to be correct about normal launching. I would swear that on my old machine Ascent would jump to becoming the frontmost window upon launch. This doesn't seem to be the case on the new machine. However, if an update is found, Ascent will throw it's dialogue box on top of the pile. Or at least did to me this morning.
All I'm asking for (and I'm agreeing with you here loeszilard) is that in no event will the app steal focus from whatever is in front.

Thanks!

nimpoc

Return to Feature Requests