Equipment user interface

The place to post what you would like to see added to Ascent

Equipment user interface

Postby BrianGee on Sat May 01, 2010 8:13 pm

I like the new equipment tracking capabilities, but would suggest the following changes to the UI:

• Provide a pull down for selecting a single shoe (like before)

• Allow equipment to be active or inactive - so we don't have to scroll through long lists of worn out shoes
BrianGee

Re: Equipment user interface

Postby oshloel on Sun May 02, 2010 3:59 pm

If you use one or just a few particular brand/models of shoe, consider just having that as your equipment and enter a new pair as "new shoes" in the Maintenance Log section. Granted the total miles would be the cumulative of all pairs of that particular brand/model, but the "miles since maintenance" would list miles/hours on the newest pair. I use this methodology for both my running shoes and my bike tires. I use the Maintenance Log section of my bikes to track chain mileage and just write the few other maintenance items I want to track in the main notes section.

Rick
Rick
oshloel

Postby RSpringuel on Tue May 18, 2010 8:34 pm

I agree on creating an active/inactive option for equipment. Even if you use maintenance log to track new copies of the same piece of equipment (like a new shoe of the same brand/model as before) there are times when you simply make too big a change in the equipment for that to be an acceptable solution (such as changing the brand/model of shoe that you use). The end result is entries in the equipment log that you no longer use and have to constantly scroll past to get to the active stuff.

Also, it'd be nice if it was possible to assign sports to the different pieces of equipment and then sort the list by sport before item name. As I've added more and more items to my equipment log, I've found it more and more annoying to scroll through the list to find all the pieces of equipment used for a particular activity. If I could have all the pieces of equipment from a single sport in a single spot in the list (something I've started to accomplish with prepending letter codes) then it'd be easier to find all the pieces used in a particular activity.
RSpringuel

Postby ratherbeintobago on Sat May 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Much as though I like the equipment log, with more complex pieces of kit the maintenance section is too limited - eg. with my MTB there are the following things that need to be done:

Fork servicing
    Bottom bracket bearings
    Chain
    Brake pads F&R
    Cassette
    etc

While it's nice to know how long it's been in time & distance since the last service task, what would be more useful would be to know how long the intervals are for each task, without having to put in separate equipment entries for fork/front brake/rear brake/chain etc. Perhaps this could be done by having (optional) sub-sections for each piece of equipment?

Also agree that active/inactive equipment would be useful.

Andy
ratherbeintobago

Postby georg on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:35 am

ratherbeintobago wrote:While it's nice to know how long it's been in time & distance since the last service task, what would be more useful would be to know how long the intervals are for each task, without having to put in separate equipment entries for fork/front brake/rear brake/chain etc. Perhaps this could be done by having (optional) sub-sections for each piece of equipment?

I would love to see that as well as you do. The equipment log is kinda useless to me right now, since I'm not willing to activate the "chain" every time I ride my bike. This is kinda silly in the UI.

Sub-sections would be AWSOME: Like CannondaleBike->Chain
-> Tire
-> BreakPads
Greetings
Georg
georg

Postby BrianGee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 pm

I found how to set the default equipment to be used for new activities (using the check box in the set... panel). However, there should be an option on the General Preferences tab along with the other defaults.
BrianGee

Return to Feature Requests