British Units

The place to post what you would like to see added to Ascent

British Units

Postby rswift on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Hello,

As a British user, I would really love to be able to select distance in miles but altitude in metres... Currently the options are statue or metric only... We drive imperial miles but put metric litres of fuel in our cars, we share an imperial pint of beer with a friend having a metric measure of spirits :?

Ideally the settings for altitude/climb, distance, speed, pace etc would be individually controlled, but would take on the system wide defaults of statue/metric so that users get an easy setup but individual controls would be ideal for fine levels of controls and setting.

Cheers - Robert...
rswift

Re: British Units

Postby Mick F on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:41 am

As another British user, I don't want anything to do with metric!

I like miles for distance and speed, and feet for elevation.

I agree, however, that we should be able to mix and match the units. It can't be that difficult.
Also, personally, I would like miles ok for distance, but I don't like the USA preoccupation with feet for distance as well. There are 1760 yards in a mile, so when the Garmin's tell you about distance to the next turn etc, can we have it in yards please?
150ft means very little to me, but if it said 50yds it would make more sense.

I am happy with miles and points of a mile for general distance.

So you see, we all may want different units for different occasions.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby dw152 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:02 am

Sort of related to this is that I would really like to have different units for different activities.

When I swim, I think it terms of yards and meters, not miles. If I swim 2500 yards, I have to enter it as 1.42 miles, but in those units that number is rather meaningless to me.
dw152

Postby ratherbeintobago on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:46 am

rswift wrote:As a British user, I would really love to be able to select distance in miles but altitude in metres

+1

Andy
ratherbeintobago

Postby BrianGee on Sat May 01, 2010 8:43 pm

As a Canadian, I run kilometres (not kilometers!) but my weight is in pounds (too many!)

I don't really care about elevation, because the Garmin doesn't seem very accurate. I can run back to my starting point and be 50 metres higher. Ah, those endorphins!
BrianGee

Postby RSpringuel on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm

dw152 wrote:Sort of related to this is that I would really like to have different units for different activities.

When I swim, I think it terms of yards and meters, not miles. If I swim 2500 yards, I have to enter it as 1.42 miles, but in those units that number is rather meaningless to me.

QFTW!
RSpringuel

Postby stevek on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:46 am

I'm British and have now made the move over to Km for my cycling and running.
(I find that 2.3K ( ie 2K plus 300m is easier to do sums on than 2.3 miles ( 2 mile plus 528 yards!) ) You get very good at multiplying/dividing by .6 at first, running Min/Km pace seems faster too!)

But swimming I do do in metres. (when manually entering distance in Km into Ascent it is rounded to 1 decimal place, but is displayed later in Ascent to 2)

In metric the maximum displayed altitude is 100m, for us not living in the alps can it be smaller?

I do agree though lets have data displayed in units that we are most familiar with, with appropriate display conversions for that data, ie 100ft does not become becomes 100m.

Steve
stevek

Postby jasonwoolfe on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Hey all,
So I'm a British guy who rides most definitely in KM... but I'm very happy when I go through the 160km barrier because, let's face it, 100 miles will always mean more.

So +1 to mixing and matching units.

(Even to the extent of riding a distance in KM and occasionally watching speed in MPH to see if I'm within reach of breaking the hour for a 25TT yet...)

J
jasonwoolfe

Return to Feature Requests