Sync issues and poll...

Discuss features and solicit feedback from other Ascent users. For the quickest response to bugs or serious problems, please email support@montebellosoftware.com

Are you having Sync Issues?

I am experiencing sync issues with my Edge or Forerunner 205/305
41%
I have no problem syncing
58%

Total votes : 51

Re: Sync issues and poll...

Postby ltlatta on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:40 pm

i have an imac G5.
forerunner 305
was having sporadic problems syncing but usually after the 2nd or 3rd try i had been successful. got a message to relaunch
today after that message about 5 times i reinstalled and now it just hangs.
rebooted my mac. no success.
installed 1.9.7. still can't sync. now what do i try?
ltlatta

Postby gpsloco on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:36 am

I have sync problems since I switched from my edge 305 to the 705. With the 305 I never had a problem, hit cmd-l in ascent and there were the data. After upgrading to a 705 unit, hitting cmd-L only brings up the sync bar for a flash of a second and then nothing. No sync, no hanging. So what I do now is using the import tcx function and manualy navigate to the history folder of the garmin device.

Of course I tried making a new ascend file and go from there, same behaviour

If anyone has an idea how to tell ascent to sync with the 705, I'd be very happy.

Tilman
gpsloco

Postby toomanybikes on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Well,

I am running 1.9.7 on a G5 iMac and 10.5. I have 2 Gb of Ram.

I still cannot sync my 305 to Ascent. I can Sync it to both Garmin Training Centre and Motionbased.

After the latest update there is a new "feature" that has appeared. When I go to import a .tcx file that I exported from GTC, I get a pop-up window telling me that I am trying to import a file with the same date and time as an existing file - I have to click "OK" through every single date for which I have a file in Ascent.

This is really getting tiresome.
toomanybikes

Postby rob on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:15 am

Sorry you're having problems. I know it can be frustrating.

Regarding the tcx import issue:

GTC exports every activity in its database when it exports a tcx file, that's why Ascent is complaining that activities with the same date/time already exist. Unfortunately, there's no way to get GTC to export only a single activity. As a workaround, you can export from GTC, then import into an empty Ascent activity document (create one by typing CMD-N). After you have imported the tcx into the new document, copy the new activities (select them, then type CMD-C) and paste them into your main activity document (CMD-V)

Regarding the on-going sync problems:

I assume you've tried:
- plugging the USB cable directly into your mac, avoiding any USB hubs, etc
- cleaning the contacts of your USB cable
- a different USB cable

The public-domain gps-syncing code used by Ascent (gpsbabel) does not seem to handle errors gracefully, and I suspect this is what is causing people problems. Errors can be generated by bad cables, flaky USB hubs, or dirty contacts.
rob
Site Admin

Postby toomanybikes on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:23 pm

Well, that certainly explains the issue with exporting from GTC. Thank you.

I have tried all those things with the Garmin, will continue to do so, maybe some day it will just work again.

rob wrote:Sorry you're having problems. I know it can be frustrating.

Regarding the tcx import issue:

GTC exports every activity in its database when it exports a tcx file, that's why Ascent is complaining that activities with the same date/time already exist. Unfortunately, there's no way to get GTC to export only a single activity. As a workaround, you can export from GTC, then import into an empty Ascent activity document (create one by typing CMD-N). After you have imported the tcx into the new document, copy the new activities (select them, then type CMD-C) and paste them into your main activity document (CMD-V)

Regarding the on-going sync problems:

I assume you've tried:
- plugging the USB cable directly into your mac, avoiding any USB hubs, etc
- cleaning the contacts of your USB cable
- a different USB cable

The public-domain gps-syncing code used by Ascent (gpsbabel) does not seem to handle errors gracefully, and I suspect this is what is causing people problems. Errors can be generated by bad cables, flaky USB hubs, or dirty contacts.
toomanybikes

Postby rob on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:30 pm

How does the sync fail? Does Ascent hang, do you get a crash, or does it silently fail?

If there is a crash, can you email the crash log to support@montebellosoftware.com?

Thanks for your patience.
rob
Site Admin

Postby toomanybikes on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:40 pm

rob wrote:How does the sync fail? Does Ascent hang, do you get a crash, or does it silently fail?

If there is a crash, can you email the crash log to support@montebellosoftware.com?

Thanks for your patience.

Just a silent fail.

I have run Repair Permissions and Disk Warrior til I'm blue.

No luck.

I am emailing you the console log from today along with a Get Info window - I'm just stumped.
toomanybikes

Postby toomanybikes on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:45 pm

One more thing,

Exporting from Motionbased does not give the option of a tcx file.

The result is no Heart rate data in Ascent.

I can export in tcx from GTC and this gives me heart rate data in Ascent - but the downside as you point out above is that GTC exports every single activity file ........
toomanybikes

Postby geoingcrazy on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:44 pm

The transfer protocol works, but there is some kind of logic bug. The sync works fine the first time, but if I delete the activity from Ascent, it won't re-sync. I assume Ascent has some memory of the activity, and is trying to prevent a duplicate. Yet the activity has been deleted, and I can even quit and restart the program. Ascent will properly import the activity as a GPX or TCX file.
geoingcrazy

Postby rob on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Ascent won't re-sync an activity into a document in which you deleted the activity -- it keeps track of activities you deleted in the document so that they don't keep re-appearing every time you sync.

If you want to re-sync a deleted activity, just open a new activity document (CMD-N), sync into it (CMD-L), then use copy/paste to copy the activity from the new document to the old.
rob
Site Admin

Postby Birdog on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:20 pm

I got multisport completely goofed up?
Did only cycling and "other". The other was walking. Wanted to try out multisport and taking it easy... new stuff on bike, etc.
Biking came into Ascent as 'running". The "other" would not sync into ascent? Got none of it. Have no multisport info on ascent in any way. Just 3 "running" that were biking and a 4th biking not downloading. The 4th biking was the third leg in the middle of everything?
Double checked forerunner ... everything is there as biking and other and under multisport got the total distance and time. 21.17 miles total.

I didn't know that garmin had created a training center for my mac until I read this forum. I downloaded the training center. Downloaded the 305 to the training center. Got the workout there as multisport and the whole thing as one. It did not label the different parts as anything.
Did run into another problem. After doing this, all the bottom keys on my keyboard quit working. Thought maybe it was the download. So I put the training center in the trash. Restarted. Still none of those keys working. Right now am typing on a microsoft natural keyboard.

If I want to do this again. Should I just save each part of a multisport on my garmin. Then start another workout?

One other thing I noticed. I it happened before but wasn't multisport. Just saving and restarting another different workout. That is the missing bike has midnight in it. Shouldn't matter. Have done single runs through midnight with no problem. But in both cases of multisport or no multisport that was actually several bike/run or walk (other) ... the one part that did not sync into ascent was through midnight. Yes this is seperate and ignoring the problem with the lack of "other" (little walks) in multisport failing to sync at all.

Garmin 305. HR monitor, cadence sensor (yes came in as running and the cadence info there on ascent).
Apple PowerMac G4. Tiger version 10.4.11
Ascent version 1.9.7 .

Hope I'm not too confusing to you. It sure has me confused.

Ron
Birdog

Postby Bryan on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:09 am

I’ve had intermittent sync issues a few times. Not sure at what version of Ascent they first cropped up.

When I’ve had a problem syncing an activity, I’ve just been flat-out unable to sync that activity no matter what fiddling I did. Subsequent activities, no problem. So frankly, I can’t swear that it’s Ascent and not my GPS.

2ghz Core2Duo MacBook
OS 10.5.5
2GB RAM

Ascent 1.9.8
Garmin 205
Direct connection to cradle with OEM cable, no hub
Bryan

Postby bungi on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:13 pm

Mac Mini Intel Core Duo with 10.4.10
Garmin Edge 305
Problem is that after syncing with Ascent the 305 stops charging, and will not power on again until I've held down mode and reset buttons for 5 seconds. THe unit then powers up, with the battery charge level it had before syncing. The unit itself reports that it is still charging, and reports completion of charging as normal on the front panel.
This was first noticed on the 10th April, after I connected the unit to sync a long ride, with the battery nigh on flat. When I started Ascent it did a software update, and I think it must have been that which introduced the problem. I'm not 100% sure which build that was, since it's updated since then, and it has been some time since the previous update, plus, I only run Ascent about once a week to sync data. I'm currently on 1.9.12, but the problem still exists, and is reproducible.
bungi

Postby dugazul on Tue May 19, 2009 2:50 am

I had my first sync issue yesterday.
The symptom: an overly quick display of the syncing message (less than a second) "this may take awhile" and then nothing happened. I tried again, tried a restart and still nothing. Then I tried MotionBased, still nothing-I was beginning to suspect the Garmin 305.
This morning tried the Garmin training center, worked perfectly, then tried Ascent, it worked and finally MotionBased, which also worked.
I'm using a PPC mac with 10.4.11.
Most recent update beside Ascent was the security update.
Thanks, Doug
dugazul

Postby richfletcher on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:14 pm

The 705 works great on my MacBookPro with 10.5.1 (Leopard) and Ascent v1.9.12
The 705 syncs weird with my iMac (intel) running 10.4.11 in that upon selecting Sync GPS, Ascent gives me a prompt that says the unit has been improperly disconnected... there are no "beeps" upon data transfer as with our 305 that works perfectly on both machines. And here's the weird part– the data appears as usual and completely in tact even though the Ascent software doesn't "think" it transferred anything. Hmmmmm.
The Garmin 705 disk image remains on the desktop and is not truly "disconnected" from the computer. The USB line is a good one. Again, the 305 works perfectly, as it has since 2007 with Ascent.
richfletcher

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion