Direct Sync with the 910xt?

Discuss features and solicit feedback from other Ascent users. For the quickest response to bugs or serious problems, please email support@montebellosoftware.com

Direct Sync with the 910xt?

Postby srogers on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:31 pm

I finally upgraded from the 310 to the 910, which seems to be crossing some big software boundaries.

It forced me off the ancient Ant Agent software and into Garmin Express for syncing my data. As far as Garmin goes, that seems to work fine. But Ascent doesn't see the 910 when it's connected via USB. When I try the "experimental" garmin sync widget in the FIle menu, I get the messages, "Searching for Devices" . . . "Found Forerunner 910XT" . . . but then it doesn't do anything. The Preview button is present and clickable, but nothing happens.

Is there an easier way to get data from the 910xt into Ascent than exporting the files manually from Garmin Connect, then importing them? I want to keep using Ascent, but that's going to be a pain. . . .
srogers

Re: Direct Sync with the 910xt?

Postby dw152 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:18 pm

The Garmin Ant Agent and Garmin Express download the activity file from the 910xt and place a copy of a fit file on your local hard drive. You can upload that file directly to Ascent.

When Garmin moved from the Ant Agent to Express, they changed the location of the downloaded fit files. They are now placed in a folder called GarminConnect, so search your local drive to find this folder, and you should be able to figure out where your activities are. The GarminConnect folder is somewhere in your Library folder, which has been hidden by default by the Mac OS for a while. It's pretty easy to unhide it (which you should do before you search for the GarminConnect folder), so search on google on how to unhide the Library folder.
dw152

Postby Mick F on Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:06 pm

I have no idea about your 910 problem.
I've had Edge 305 and Edge 705 in the past.

However, does it not turn up as a Volume on your desktop?
Can you not open it and see a Garmin folder?

I have a Garmin Montana these days, and it won't sync with Ascent, but by opening up the Garmin folder and finding the GPX folder, I can drag and drop the tracks.

Good luck,
Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby dw152 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Mick F wrote:However, does it not turn up as a Volume on your desktop?
Can you not open it and see a Garmin folder?

The 910xt uses Ant+ to wirelessly download data. It is not plugged into the computer as a USB mass storage device, which is why it doesn't show up as a volume.
dw152

Postby Mick F on Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:06 am

Ah, I see.

No doubt the 910 has a socket and lead to charge the battery. Can you connect to a computer by using it, or is it just a power socket?
How do you install software? Is this done via ANT too, or do you connect to a computer?

Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby dw152 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Mick F wrote:No doubt the 910 has a socket and lead to charge the battery. Can you connect to a computer by using it, or is it just a power socket?
How do you install software? Is this done via ANT too, or do you connect to a computer?

The cable only charges the device, which can be done through the computer or a wall outlet. Plugging it in to the computer does nothing but charge it. Software is uploaded via the Garmin Ant Agent.

Besides the 910xt, the 301xt and 610 used Ant+ to transfer data.

AFAIK, all of the Garmin bike computers will mount and transfer data as a USB volume.

Some of the newer devices also transfer data through Bluetooth and wifi.
dw152

Postby Mick F on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Ok.
Sounds like a backward step to me. I'm glad I have one that'll connect to a computer! :D

Regards,
Mick
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby Mick F on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Out riding today, and thinking .......... like I do quite a lot when cycling! :D

If your 910 needs ANT, why not sync with someone with a Garmin device that HAS a USB connection?
He can upload your track into his computer, then email the track to you.
You then drag and drop the track into an Ascent browser.

Yes, I know this is longwinded and a bit OTT, but it would work.

I have a Garmin Montana, and it can share tracks via ANT with any Garmin that has ANT, so there must be other devices out there.

Good luck,
Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Return to General Discussion