Garmin Edge 500- Altitude smoothing

Discuss features and solicit feedback from other Ascent users. For the quickest response to bugs or serious problems, please email support@montebellosoftware.com

Garmin Edge 500- Altitude smoothing

Postby macholdt on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 am

What is the proper altitude smoothing number for a Garmin Edge 500?
macholdt

Re: Garmin Edge 500- Altitude smoothing

Postby oshloel on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:26 pm

I don't have a 500, but use 28 for the Garmin Edge 800. It seems to give me a number that looks pretty close. I'm not sure there is one perfect number that fits all types of rides - short rollers, long rollers, steady long climbs, etc. Your best bet might be to ride a route where you are confident of the elevation gain from an outside source, upload it, ctrl-click on the uploaded activity to get the contextual menu, select Altitude Smoothing, and play with it a bit. Once you get a result you like, use that number in the preferences as a default smoothing value.

Rick
Rick
oshloel

Re: Garmin Edge 500- Altitude smoothing

Postby axiom95 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:06 pm

I have an Edge 500 and before that an Edge 305. If I remember correctly, I looked at the overall ascent values and gradients for specific climbs in Ascent, rubiTrack and Garmin Training Center and arrived at a value of 32. It was just a matter of coming up with a setting that seemed to make sense. If you have any climbs near you where the gradient is known, you can use that to "calibrate" your setting. I don't think that it matters which Edge unit you are using.
Seven Axiom SG
w/ Campy Record 11
Garmin Edge 500, 305
GSC-10
axiom95

Return to General Discussion