Ascent still being developed?

Discuss features and solicit feedback from other Ascent users. For the quickest response to bugs or serious problems, please email support@montebellosoftware.com

Re: Ascent still being developed?

Postby Mick F on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:18 am

Is there an actual alternative to Ascent for a Mac?
By that I mean a program to download, so the program and all your info and tracks etc are inside your own computer rather than being hosted on a website?

I love Ascent. It's there in my computers and all my rides are stored on a memory stick. I don't need an internet connection to see them in all their glory - the local mapping is in a cache so I don't need to download them all the time.

Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby dw152 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 am

Mick F wrote:Is there an actual alternative to Ascent for a Mac?
By that I mean a program to download, so the program and all your info and tracks etc are inside your own computer rather than being hosted on a website?

Given the uncertainty in Ascent, I converted to rubiTrack a while ago, and have not been disappointed. It is a local program that runs on your local computer and is not web-based. There are one or two things that I wish it did, but there are a couple of powerful things that rubiTrack does that Ascent does not do. Overall, it's a solid program. rubiTrack has an active forum, and the developer is often on there responding to people. It's available from the app store.
Last edited by dw152 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dw152

Postby axiom95 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:22 pm

rubiTrack can also be downloaded directly from their web site if you don't like dealing with the App Store. I have been using rubiTrack for several years along side Ascent.

http://www.rubitrack.com
Seven Axiom SG
w/ Campy Record 11
Garmin Edge 500, 305
GSC-10
axiom95

Postby ken on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:23 pm

I have a few gripes here and there with rubiTrack, but overall it's been pretty great. There are even little things here and there that I try that surprise me, like selecting a section of a run and it shows me the totals and such. That was a huge help a few times.
ken

Postby Mick F on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks for that guys.

One problem ......
Rubitrack needs 10.7 or later, I'm on 10.6.8 and have seen no reason to update.

How much does it cost for 10.7 or even 10.8 and how much does it cost for Rubitrack?
Is it worth the dosh?

Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby dw152 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:00 am

Mick F wrote:One problem ......
Rubitrack needs 10.7 or later, I'm on 10.6.8 and have seen no reason to update.

Maybe you have a reason now?

Mick F wrote:How much does it cost for 10.7 or even 10.8 and how much does it cost for Rubitrack?
Is it worth the dosh?

rubiTrack is about $40. But instead of asking us, though, why don't you go to the website by following the link that axiom95 was kind enough to supply? And I think we've adequately endorsed it, so yes, in our humble opinion, it's worth the money.

A while ago, Apple started pricing their OS updates pretty reasonably, something like $30 or so. But again, I might suggest you go to the apple website for the authoritative answer.
dw152

Postby Mick F on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:43 am

The only thing I saw on the Rubitrack link was "Download/Buy" now, and it wouldn't.
Near the top of the home page it says "Download Store" which seemed the same thing to me.

Anyway, what they meant at the top, was "Download" and separately "Store". Clicking on Store shows it costs £30.34

My questions were actually rhetorical, no doubt I will update our computers eventually, we'd need to get a Family Pack like we have done in the past. Whatever it costs (and to be honest I can't be bothered to look through the Apple website) is what it costs - and there are only two options. Upgrade or not upgrade.

Up until now, I have seen no reason at all to upgrade. As I've said before, I love Ascent and although there may be much to recommend Rubitrack, why bother if Ascent does it for me?

At a guess, the total cost will be about £60. I'll think about it, but I'm not confident I'll bother. Maybe I'll wait until I find another reason to upgrade to osx 10.8 but at present, there isn't any.

Regards to all
Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby ratherbeintobago on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:01 pm

How easy is it to export my Ascent data file to Rubitrack?
ratherbeintobago

Postby axiom95 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:44 am

ratherbeintobago wrote:How easy is it to export my Ascent data file to Rubitrack?

I seem to recall that it was no problem. Check out this discussion on the rubiTrack forum, it should be helpful.

http://www.rubitrack.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1771
Seven Axiom SG
w/ Campy Record 11
Garmin Edge 500, 305
GSC-10
axiom95

Postby 8k84 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Does anybody use TrailRunner? It's a donationware, so trying is not a porblem, but still an opinion of an experienced user would be helpful.
8k84

Postby pmcquown on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:07 pm

I too have had concerns with Ascent not being updated - however - I can confirm that it works with OS 10.9 Mavericks. It lost my purchase key, but I had the email with the purchase key info - so make sure you have access to that before upgrading to 10.9

I am currently rubiTrack and will post a more detailed review as compared to ascent

My initial thought is that it is a little too cartoony looking for my taste. Ascent also has a summary screen broken down however I like it - Month, week, day or laps. This is the feature I use the most and rubiTrack's isn't as nice - though it is there. I tend to examine my rides and want to see the totals for the ride, the laps within any given ride and weekly totals. Laps seem to be confusing in rubiTrack and weekly totals are hard to find, too. The dashboard is very nicely laid out, but only shows me a week - or how many weeks or months I specific - not a comparisin to any other given variable.

I'll post more later, but suffice it to say - I have years of Ascent data on my mac - literally years - and I just get nervous with each OS update. I would gladly pay an upgrade fee to keep ascent as current as possible
pmcquown

Postby dw152 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:05 pm

pmcquown wrote:I tend to examine my rides and want to see the totals for the ride, the laps within any given ride and weekly totals. Laps seem to be confusing in rubiTrack and weekly totals are hard to find, too. The dashboard is very nicely laid out, but only shows me a week - or how many weeks or months I specific - not a comparisin to any other given variable.

I don't want to get into a debate about which is better, but I don't agree that laps are confusing in RT. They are just as easy to view as in Ascent. I did a track run earlier this week and marked my intervals as laps, and was able to analyze pace and distance for each interval, as well as HR breakdown for each interval.

Weekly totals in RT are pretty easy to find - and to graph, too. I can look at weekly totals in terms of distance, duration, number of activities and so on, and I can filter by activity, and look at it on a daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly basis.

I can set up custom groups (e.g, all runs over 1:30 in 2013) and look at totals that way, which I often find pretty useful. When RT first came out, it was a bit behind compared to Ascent, but since then RT has caught up and surpassed Ascent, IMHO.
dw152

Postby axiom95 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:03 pm

As far as laps go, Ascent links the selected lap to the graph/charts as well as the map. rubiTrack only highlights the lap segment on the map. Hopefully this is something that will be added to rT in the future. They are both good programs, it will be a shame if Ascent become no longer useable. I still like the Max/Min summary table for each ride in Ascent and hope that this is also added to rT.
Seven Axiom SG
w/ Campy Record 11
Garmin Edge 500, 305
GSC-10
axiom95

Postby Mick F on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:54 pm

pmcquown wrote:I'll post more later, but suffice it to say - I have years of Ascent data on my mac - literally years - and I just get nervous with each OS update. I would gladly pay an upgrade fee to keep ascent as current as possible
I would gladly pay more too.

Come on Rob!
Keep Ascent current!

As for having (literally) years of Ascent data, it too have years. I even back-dated some stuff by creating my old (manual) rides diary on BikeHikeUK and saving them onto Ascent. I have data more or less going back to October 2004.

Mine isn't on my Mac though. I save it to a memory stick, and archive the past years onto CDs as well.

My rides were on my Mac, but since losing most of 2011 made me learn a lesson. Even the Back Up system didn't save me. :oops: I emailed a zipped file to Rob and he got back to me that it was too corrupt to save.

My advice is to save all your precious Ascent data to somewhere NOT on a computer.

Regards,
Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby Tafkas on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 pm

What I don't understand, Ascent is still the best tool when it comes to organize all your runs in on place. RT might be more colorful but Ascent beats it in almost every aspect. With the introduction of the AppStore there is a huge opportunity to acquire new customers and make lots of profit. Rob, if you are reading this, don't keep us hanging. Bring Ascent back to live.
Tafkas

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion