Ascent still being developed?

Discuss features and solicit feedback from other Ascent users. For the quickest response to bugs or serious problems, please email support@montebellosoftware.com

Ascent still being developed?

Postby Sparky on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi, is the site still being developed in any way because there hasn't been a new version for quite a while?

Thanks,

Mark
Sparky

Re: Ascent still being developed?

Postby digbymaass on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Yes, tell us!
digbymaass

Postby jaknudsen on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:56 am

I am wondering as well.
jaknudsen

Postby stevek on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 am

I think the deafening silence means NO!

pity since I like Ascent but there are too many bugs that now will NEVER get fixed.

What alternatives are people using?

Steve
stevek

Postby ken on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:17 pm

I've been using rubiTrack 3. It's pretty nice, though I prefer the simpler layout of Ascent. Too bad, but at least rubiTrack is current.
ken

Postby stevek on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

I have just moved to rubitrack3 too as Ascent is dead ( well in a coma I doubt it will recover from)

Its a pity since at first glance, I prefer the Ascent GUI, but I suppose its what your used to?

Steve
stevek

Postby Mick F on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:49 am

I'm still using Ascent and will continue to do so.

Although Rob seems to have forgotten/finished with/moved on to other things(?), Ascent isn't dead, it's just come to the end of the project. Yes, it has some bugs and foibles, but that doesn't mean it's useless and rubbish.

I like it. It doesn't actually NEED any more updates. Bug fixes, yes, but hey! I can live with those.

Ascent is good.

Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby stevek on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:04 pm

I have posted many bugs present on here, the only reason I stayed with Ascent for so long was the promise to fix the problems ( rather than take the money and run)

I DO like the ascent interface, and would still use if the few bugs were fixed.( such as non lap markers on non gps activity graphs, and not being able to add manual distance to non-gps maps)

Obviously as soon as new gps monitors with new features are released, they will not be supported without development. So I am fine until I break my 310 or want to move on

A real shame as I recommended Ascent to many people, and have ejoyed using it, I think I have had my monies worth ( although I regret purchasing the iphone version)

Any new users? Caveat emptor

Ascent, RIP
stevek

Postby dw152 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:14 pm

When I got my first Garmin device over 5 years ago, I wasn't sure if I should use Motion Based or Ascent. I decided to go with Ascent. Shortly afterwards, Motion Based was bought by Garmin Connect and Motion Based was shut down. There were some problems in the transition, and at the time, I was happy that I had chosen Ascent because it appeared that it was going to be around for a long time. But a while ago I realized that Ascent was likely reaching its end of life. So I switched over to RubiTrack, which seems to be actively developed and updated, and I'm hoping this will be around for a while. I like Ascent better, but I've learned to like RubiTrack quite a bit too. As a backup, I also upload my activities to Strava, which I think will be around for the long term. I have is that I have over 5 years of activities recorded on my Garmin devices, and I don't want to lose them or have to re-load them to another app if one gets phased out. Ascent works for the time being, but it is falling behind some of the features (I don't think it would be able to handle a swim workout from a 910xt or Garmin Swim), and eventually an update to Mac OS will break it.
dw152

Postby fsantore on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the developer, in consideration for his past and current loyal paid devotees, considered selling or passing on this product to some eager new person. It would be a shame for this great app and all the past hard work to come to an inglorious end.
fsantore

Postby ken on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Kind of sad that there's still a link on the web site to purchase it, and $40 at that.
ken

Postby rrooster on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:02 pm

I agree with Mick F.

I think this is still the best software... you can tell it was developed by a competitive athlete and good developer... very rare. Its in need of modernisation & bug fixes... but it has less bugs than RubiTrack3 (Which I use keep my data in duplicate, but different format.) (man's got to have data)

I hope Rob revisits this project to recompile it for OSX.ix (Mavericks)

Mick F wrote:I'm still using Ascent and will continue to do so.

Although Rob seems to have forgotten/finished with/moved on to other things(?), Ascent isn't dead, it's just come to the end of the project. Yes, it has some bugs and foibles, but that doesn't mean it's useless and rubbish.

I like it. It doesn't actually NEED any more updates. Bug fixes, yes, but hey! I can live with those.

Ascent is good.

Mick.
rrooster

Postby axiom95 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:23 am

I must add that the thought of Ascent no longer working after the move to OSX Mavericks is quite depressing. I am still hoping that Rob is once again able to pick up development, even if it's just to keep Ascent working with the new OS.
Seven Axiom SG
w/ Campy Record 11
Garmin Edge 500, 305
GSC-10
axiom95

Postby charlesbouldin on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:20 pm

I can verify that Ascent works with the developer preview releases of OS X Mavericks.
charlesbouldin

Postby axiom95 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 am

charlesbouldin wrote:I can verify that Ascent works with the developer preview releases of OS X Mavericks.

That is good news, thanks.
Seven Axiom SG
w/ Campy Record 11
Garmin Edge 500, 305
GSC-10
axiom95

Next

Return to General Discussion