Last OSX version that works with Ascent?

Discuss features and solicit feedback from other Ascent users. For the quickest response to bugs or serious problems, please email support@montebellosoftware.com

Re: Last OSX version that works with Ascent?

Postby Mick F on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:52 pm

When I needed the registration details, I emailed Rob.
He got back to me very quickly. :D

memberlist.php?mode=email&u=2

Cheers!
Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Postby dagaus190 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:29 pm

It looks like macOS High Sierra (Version 10.13) has done Ascent in for me.

While it does open for me, it returns an error message:

Document Read Error
NSTimeZone cannot be decoded by non-keyed archivers
dagaus190

Postby hmbmd on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:41 pm

I get the same error
hmbmd

Postby dagaus190 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Good news:
The friend who started me with Ascent shared his file with me (and I sent mine to him to test on an older Mac.)
His opens fine on mine with High Sierra installed, so the OS is not the primary change.
Bad news:
Whatever corruption is in my file was introduced before 2016, I've tried opening my back-ups that go back t0 2016, but they all get the same error message.

So perhaps my only option is to get a full download from Garmin and import them all, which means I lose out on the ride names (Titles) and would need to start from scratch. That is one of the things I really like about Ascent, that I could search for a key word, knowing it was in the title and quickly filter to those rides.

I got the new Garmin 820 in March this year and that no longer would sync directly with Ascent, so I had to start exporting the tcx file from Garmin Connect to import here, so I had hopes that the back-up file from February this year would be a good restart point, but no...
dagaus190

Postby jaknudsen on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 am

Ascent works fine for me on High Sierra. I use tapiriik.com to automatically save Garmin Connect activities as local files (in my Dropbox).
jaknudsen

Postby Keith on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Ascent still working fine on Mac OS High Sierra.

To copy my Garmin files into it I mostly just mount the GPS on the desktop and drag and drop the relevant file over directly. Mostly I use a Garmin 810 on the bike and that syncs directly to Strava at the end of a ride anyway, I use Ascent just as a local backup really.

Walks and sea-kayaking trips are logged with a few different devices, so export, etc, is th sensible option.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Ascent for local use on my Mac? i really am very happy with Ascent, but surely it will stop working at some point?

BTW VeloViewer is a fantastic extra to Strava for analysis, etc. for the first time ever I can create a heat map of separate activities by date range or actual activity, etc. Very powerful in my opinion! Strava only does heat maps for certain activities, not including Kayaking :?
Keith

Postby diane on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:15 am

I am thinking of a new Garmin. Ascent is the only app I use for my workout data. I'm not really interested in anything that is online.

I should be able to manually import files from the GPS, right? I'm on Yosemite right now but will be going to Sierra when I get a spare minute. Glad to see it's still working on High Sierra!
diane

Previous

Return to General Discussion