Ascent 1.8.0 Public Beta

New versions of Ascent will be announced here

Postby rob on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:29 am

PLEASE BACK UP ALL ASCENT ACTIVITY DOCUMENTS BEFORE USING THIS BETA!

download link:
Ascent 1.8.0 BETA 7

Problems/bug reports/suggestions should be emailed to: support@montebellosoftware.com

Changes since 1.7.6:
- New Feature: more compact look and feel, better use of space, metallic texture in the main browser window
- New Feature: CALENDAR VIEW available in the main browser by clicking the segmented control in the toolbar
- New Feature: added Cocoa toolbar with several button/popup and segmented control widgets
- New Feature: added dynamic split view in main browser. Subsections can be dragged to a desired size, and all sections can be completely collapsed if desired
- New Feature: added "Split Graph" as a new main browser sub-pane, with selectable data items to graph and split lengths (including a "custom" length)
- New Feature: added "Split Table" as a new main browser sub-pane, showing data for splits, with customizable columns via right (or control-clicking) any column header
- New Feature: added "Add and Edit Activity" dialog. Activities can now be manually entered (via "Add Activity...") if exercise computer data is not available. Also, activity data can be entered via "Edit Activity..." to override some of the items reported by the exercise computer.
- New Feature: replaced Garmin calorie calculation with a different algorithm that should produce more accurate results.
- New Feature: added "Change Distance Method..." dialog and related Advanced preference for determining whether to use the distance supplied by the sync device (which may have problems) or the distance calculated from GPS location data (which may have dropouts).
- New Feature: laps can now be added and deleted. To add a lap, go to the Activity Detail view, drag the yellow ball/HUD to the desired position, and choose "Insert Lap Marker..." from the contextual popup menu. To delete a lap, position the yellow ball/HUD in front of the lap marker you want to delete, and choose "Remove Lap Marker..." from the popup.
- New Feature: using the search widget in the main browser, activities can now be filtered by activity type or equipment.
- New Feature: updated "User" preferences to include "Birth Date", "Gender", "Height", and "V02Max". Also added calculation for Body Mass Index (BMI), and user picture.
- Re-worked "stats" pane (shows max/min values and where they occurred) in the main browser to be simpler and formatted into a table
- Fixed bug in Summary View causing the color key boxes for "Average Heart Rate" and "Cadence" to be incorrect.
- Fixed problem in GPX import that was preventing import of tracks within a file where 2 or more of the tracks lacked start time information
- Moved "Default Activity" and "Default Equipment" to "General" preferences pane
- Fixed several bugs in gradient-related and average moving speed/pace calculations that produce inaccurate data
- Export features now default to save to the desktop
- Fixed .tcx export bug where activities without laps or valid GPS data would not save track points
- Fixed window positioning problems so that windows are always repositioned at the same location as where they last appeared

Edited By rob on 1192486838
rob
Site Admin

Postby colonnieves@mac.com on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:00 pm

Rob - excellent work!

So far so good, no crashes. Interface looks clean (I don't care for the brush metal, but that's minor).

Here are some minor notes:
You said:"New Feature: replaced Garmin calorie calculation with a different algorithm that should produce more accurate results". However, calories are not been computed at all (I got a Garmin 205)!

You said: "New Feature: updated "User" preferences to include "Birth Date", "Gender", "Height", and "V02Max". Also added calculation for Body Mass Index (BMI), and user picture." How do you add user picture????? I tried dragging, but it doesn't copy...

Keep the good work!

Thanks,
Felix
colonnieves@mac.com

Postby henrypretz on Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Ignoramus here ......
How do I go about backing up?
Thanks -
henrypretz

Postby oshloel on Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:55 pm

Just make a duplicate copy of your Ascent data file in the finder. Use the Duplicate command under the Finder File menu.

Rick
Rick
oshloel

Postby henrypretz on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Thanks Rick

Henry
henrypretz

Postby rob on Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:59 am

Felix,

Regarding the user picture -- all you need to do is set it up in your Mac's Address Book application, and Ascent will find it next time it starts up.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

-Rob
rob
Site Admin

Postby cpuser@mac.com on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:47 pm

Rob,

thank you for this new version. I'm really impressed and deleted Windows from my Mac, because I don't need SportTracks any more.

There is an issue syncing my Forerunner 305. I use auto distance (every km). After syncing my yesterday run (38 km) I see beginning at km 15 only laps with 0.0 km. So I have only 14.1 km. If I change it to 38 km using the grreat "edit activity" feature the distance will be changed to about 60 km if I uncheck the distance box I have 14.1 km again.
In TrainingCenter everything looks fine.

regards

Carsten
cpuser@mac.com

Postby rob on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:04 pm

Please try Beta 7 (posted this morning) -- I believe this problem was fixed in that (the latest) beta.

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/cgi-bin....=1;t=35

If the problem persists, please let us know...

Edited By rob on 1192482332
rob
Site Admin

Return to Announcements