Ascent 1.8.0 BETA 7 - another beta for your testing pleasure

New versions of Ascent will be announced here

Postby rob on Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:59 pm

After too many cups of coffee, an even newer Ascent Beta is available:

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/bt/1.8/Ascent_1.8.0_BETA_7.zip

Changes since Beta 6:
- Fixed distance calculation problem that would cause bogus distance values to be displayed
- Searches in the main browser now can be done while showing Years, Months, or Weeks, and the hierarchy will be maintained so that totals can be viewed
- Moved rarely-used controls in Detailed Map view to a collapsible drawer, streamlined the window - very nice now to maximize on a 30" monitor!
- Fixed problem with notes not saving in Edit/Add Activity dialog
- Fixed problems with the menubar "Edit" menu while in the Calendar View
- Added two new toolbar buttons that will bring up an Activity Detail or Map Detail window when an activity is selected (you will have to go to "Customize Toolbar..." dialog in the "Window" menu to get these if you've already run a 1.8 beta)

This may be the one that goes golden!

Thanks for your testing and patience.

Edited By rob on 1192456868
rob
Site Admin

Postby cpuser@mac.com on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:32 am

excellent!

The imported data are correct now, no 0 km laps more.
But if I change the distance ascent will change it to an other value (in my case I have a imported training with 42.3 km, changed it to 18 km and got 28.97 km).

regards

Carsten
cpuser@mac.com

Postby andyp on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:05 pm

@ Carsten...you are suffereing the same problem I reported yesterday on the General Discussion Board. Ascent seems to take an 'km' entry as 'miles' and then multiply it by 1.6 to give the km!! It happens on the 'Marker' distances as well.

@ Rob...I opened and saved my activity file in 1.8.0 Beta 7 and now when I try to open the activity file in 1.7.6 I get the following alert:

*** file inconsistency: read '@', expecting 'f'

Cheers

Andy
andyp

Postby rob on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Yes, files created with a newer version of Ascent do not necessary load in an older version. This is because the file format typically needs to change to support new features.

Conversely, files created with an older version of Ascent can always be loaded into a newer version.

Starting with 1.8, if you try to load a file created with a newer version, it will be detected and a user-friendly alert box will appear if you try to do this, instead of the highly-cryptic cocoa alert box.

This is why it is super-important to backup your activity documents in case you have to go back to an older version of Ascent for some reason.
rob
Site Admin

Postby stevek on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Thanks for the beta update.

I have just loaded 1.8.7.

To try it out, as well as using my small 305 data, I used a converted file of all of my polar data going back to 2000.

The calender view is a good improvement, however it is difficult to navigate when going back several years! Can we have a year at a time button?

The data week view no longer seems to be able to show months/years, with an arrow to open out. Just now weeks, or have I missed an icon? When I select a data set here, then switch to calender, it is not on the same data/date is this correct?

Can any more data other than the activity/time/distance be added to this window?

Ascent still does not seem to use the bike/run/other flag from the 305.
Each activity given a different colour on the calender would also be useful.

I now also have many heart rate only data sets (from polar) against time. The window below the calender can show splits against distance (which is guessed using a given pace.) Why are the actual watch/hrm splits which are shown on the map, not used? This applies to real gps data too, the splits recorded on the hrm appear not to be used., just appear on the map.

The activity data view also does not show the real splits times/distance

Is it possible using Ascent to add actual distance splits to the heart rate only data and change that now shown. (ie I know say in a marathon that my 26 splits are at mile intervals!) Or I do I need to go back to the actual imported hst files to change the data.

My 4hr40 marathon shows as 216Km, although all my 1 mile splits are there! ( as well as a full hrm v time)

I also have many other hr only data sets v time for which I know the total distance covered. (ie treadmill distance.) How can i set the correct distance?

Thanks Steve
stevek

Postby Croptop on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:36 am

Love the new look of 1.8.7 -- in particular the calendar view. One immediate problem that I see so far:

In my log (all activities were imported from a Garmin 305 into Ascent 1.7.6), I have a number of indoor trainer rides. In the GA version of Ascent, these workouts display proper distances and kilometer splits. But in the new beta, distance and kilometre splits are all 0.

I'll keep testing and post any further findings as I encounter them.
Croptop

Postby rob on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:57 am

Can you please email one of the wrongly-appearing activities to support@montebellosoftware.com?

Thanks!
rob
Site Admin

Postby jconklin on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:01 am

Croptop wrote:In my log (all activities were imported from a Garmin 305 into Ascent 1.7.6), I have a number of indoor trainer rides. In the GA version of Ascent, these workouts display proper distances and kilometer splits. But in the new beta, distance and kilometre splits are all 0.

For me, newly imported indoor trainer rides had zero-distance and zero-speed in Beta 6, but my existing indoor rides from 1.7.5 appeared OK.

And at least for me, Beta 7 seems to have fixed the zero-distance, zero-speed problem as well.
jconklin

Postby rob on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:29 am

The problem was that the setting "Use distance data from sync device, if available" was set to 'false' for these activities. The default for this setting is 'true', and it has to be set that way for correctly reading indoor training activities since no GPS data is available to calculate distance.

This setting can be set globally for all future activities via Advanced Preferences, or for individual activities after sync/import by using the "Change Distance Method..." available in the menubar "Edit" menu.

In any case, the original distance data from the device is never destroyed; this setting just causes it to be used (if on), or instead to calculate distance from the GPS coordinates (if off).
rob
Site Admin

Postby jukumpula on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:57 am

I have problems importing gpx files from Garmin eTrex Vista HCx with this beta version. When importing I get error "[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil key" and it fails to import. Importing worked fine with version 1.7.6. Any suggestions?

Jussi
jukumpula

Postby rob on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:57 am

rob
Site Admin

Postby jukumpula on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:29 pm

jukumpula wrote:I have problems importing gpx files from Garmin eTrex Vista HCx with this beta version. When importing I get error "[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil key" and it fails to import. Importing worked fine with version 1.7.6. Any suggestions?

Jussi

It works in beta 8, thanks :)

Jussi
jukumpula

Return to Announcements