1.3.4 released

New versions of Ascent will be announced here

Postby rob on Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:25 pm

1.3.4 Improvements and Fixes:

<ul>
<li>New feature: "Stats" pane in browser now displays lap statistics when a lap is selected</li>
<li>New feature: in activity view, x and y axis values now show more or less values depending on size of the window -- in other words, the number of tick marks changes as you resize the window</li>
<li>Activity view graphs now stretched to fit in available space with no empty area at the end</li>
<li>changed text header in activity view to display activity duration as hh::mm:ss</li>
<li>fixed bug where gradient would sometimes appear with value of 100%</li>
<li>Ascent now calculates most lap values instead of using lap summary info provided by the GPS - this means some data may be different from what is reported in Garmin Training Center</li>
<li>the browser will now immediately update when edits are made in the "Activity Data" (list) view
transport panel's "visible" state is now saved persistently</li>
<li>improvements to moving time calculation</li>
<li>"Stats" or "Info" pane choice in main browser now saved persistently</li>
<li>fixed "title" in activity view to follow time format setting (universal vs. am/pm)</li>
<li>fixed problems with gradient scaling in Activity Detail View</li>
<li>fixed problems with certain graphs disappearing when others or heart rate zones activated</li>
<li>minor menuing changes (capitalization, ellipses...)</li>
<li>fixed problem with new "Center At Click Point" contextual menu command when applied to non-VE maps</li>
</ul>
rob
Site Admin

Postby ConnerCP on Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:36 pm

rob wrote:1.3.4 Improvements and Fixes:

<ul>
<li>Ascent now calculates most lap values instead of using lap summary info provided by the GPS - this means some data may be different from what is reported in Garmin Training Center</li>
</ul>

I think this must not be workiing correctly. I can understand if there some differences (rounding and such), but it should be close to accurate. Example from last 2 runs that I just imported today with new version.

Note - I have the garmin set up to auto lap on the mile
run 1
lap - TC time - Ascent time
1 10:04 11:28 (0.99 miles)
2 9:45 11:11 (1.02 miles)
3 9:28 11:01 (0.97 miles)
4* 0:53 0:54 (0.10 miles)
total 30:12 34:34
pace 9:44 11:11
(lap 4 was .1 miles)
note, this run I never paused the garmin, timer was running from start to finish.
note also - duration and avg pace (not move speed) were nearly correct compared to Training Center, off a few seconds here or there, so rounding issues possibly.

run 2
lap - TC time - Ascent time
1 9:50 9:56 (1.01 miles)
2 10:08 10:04 (0.99 miles)
3 11:37 11:59 (1.00 miles)
4 12:20 12:54 (1.03 miles)
5 10:07 10:20 (0.99 miles)
6 9:28 9:47 (1.01 miles)
7 9:44 9:41 (0.99 miles)
8 9:28 9:40 (1.00 miles)
total 1:22:46 1:24:21 (8.02 miles)
pace 10:20 10:30

again, duration and avg pace closely match Training center - and again the timer was not stopped during the run, so it should be the case that duration = active time and avg pace = mov pace.

not sure what might be at play...

Thanks

[CODE]
This is not a sig.
ConnerCP

Postby rob on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:53 am

It looks like GPS drift may be causing this issue (I've received some Ascent docs from another user, and this seems to be the case). If you don't use auto-pause, and the GPS drifts around a bit while you are stopped, this results in small, non-zero distances, and therefore Ascent assumes you were moving and counts the data point as "moving time".

This may be fixable by adding a "distance threshold" -- values under this threshold will be considered the same as "stopped". The challenge is to find the correct threshold value.

A workaround for you in the mean time may be to turn on auto-pause in the Garmin. In this case, the Garmin inserts special "markers" in the data that make it un-ambiguous when you were stopped.
rob
Site Admin

Postby ConnerCP on Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:55 pm

I didn't physically 'stop' anytime during the run - I was moving the whole time, perhaps my issue is different. In my run, why would moving time be greater than duration? For that matter, why would moving time ever be greater than duration - it doesn't seem possible.
This is not a sig.
ConnerCP

Postby rob on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:58 pm

A new build is brewing that has a re-vamped moving-time calculation (as well as some other bug fixes) -- I'm hoping it will resolve these issues. The new release should be posted within a few days.

Thanks for your patience!
rob
Site Admin

Postby rob on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Please try 1.3.5 and see if the "moving time" (also "moving speed" and "moving pace") numbers look better.
rob
Site Admin

Postby ConnerCP on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:27 am

rob wrote:Please try 1.3.5 and see if the "moving time" (also "moving speed" and "moving pace") numbers look better.

nope, if anything, it seems farther off. Perhaps it's an oddity with the Garmin 301 format. In past versions (don't recall when it broke) this appeared to be working, but now active time, moving speed and moving pace are close to garbage. I ran the STL marathon today, and comparing training center to Ascent, duration in Acent is 4:52:41, 4:52:39 in Training center, distance is 26.70 in Ascent, 26.49 in Training center. 'Active Time' in the garmin is 4:32:21 though. I stopped for about a minute to go to the bathroom and 1 minute to take a shirt off, but that would have been it. So it thinks I stopped for 18 more minutes than I did, which makes those values pretty much useless.

Also, the heads up view (with 1.3.6) is showing 0.0 and 0:00 for speed and pace for the marathon run I just imported.

One thing that I can think of that could be causing the 'issue' - when running, the Garmin tends to briefly lose sync quite a bit more often than when biking (probably because it's moving around a lot more and 'randomly'), it seems to correct itself when it gets synched back up (meaning the distance and pace seems to get corrected). Is it possibe these brief times are seen as being 'stopped' by your computation?

Anyway, hope the moving speed stuff gets sorted out - thanks for a great product!
This is not a sig.
ConnerCP

Postby ConnerCP on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:40 pm

I believe the issue is with the Garmin briefly losing sync. I opened up the detail view of the run and removed all the 999.00, 999.00 data points and it cleaned up the differences between the duration and active time. From what I can tell, this is where the garmin loses sync briefly, but not because I've stopped or stopped the garmin unit, usually because of buildings/overpasses/etc. If these points can't be ignored easily, perhaps add an option to delete them (doing it manually took some time, and then Ascent crashed before I could save).
This is not a sig.
ConnerCP

Postby rob on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:50 pm

The data points with GPS values of "999.00" do not have to be deleted -- Ascent should be handling these, and the other data (speed, heart rate, etc) may be valid.

Can you please use the "email selected activity" of Ascent and email an activity with bad values to support@montebellosoftware.com? I agree that this may be a Garmin-301-specific bug. The only other feedback I've received on 1.3.6 is that the calculations are better than before.

I'm also concerned about the crash you experienced. Can you reproduce this, or provide more information about exactly what you were doing immediately before the crash? For example, did it crash while deleting points, or sometime after when you tried something else, etc? Any info appreciated. Also, a crash log would be useful if it was generated.
rob
Site Admin

Postby ConnerCP on Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:47 pm

I'll send an email in just a bit. As for the crash - it's happened a few times, can consider it pretty rare. What has usually happened is I've editied a long/large run (cleaning up altitude/heart rate points, deleting bad points, that sort of thing), and then continued doing other things, then it will crash. When I open it back up, my changes are not in place (ya, saving after doing the changes might be good). I wouldn't say I can repro it, seems pretty rare and random, but if it happens again, I'll try to get more info.
This is not a sig.
ConnerCP

Return to Announcements