Ascent 1.8.0 is now official - available via auto-update

New versions of Ascent will be announced here

Postby rob on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:04 am

Direct download link:

Ascent 1.1.2

Changes since 1.10:

- New "View/Column Options" menu choice allows columns to be chosen for the main browser display (you can also right-click or control-click on a column to insert/remove columns).
- Browser view can be sorted in increasing or decreasing (time) order by clicking the first column's header.
- Added ability to display horizontal axis as "distance" or "time" in the Activity graphs
- Average moving time and pace are now shown in the detailed activity view title.
- Heads-up display in the Detailed Map View now scales altitude so that the animated bar varies between min and max altitude (instead of 0 to max alititude).
- Made activities have different color text in the browser
- Added "Calories" field in the browser and lap table
- Fixed broken help text.
- Fixed off-by-one error in map view HUD heart rate zone color display
- Fixed popup menu update bugs in the Detailed Activity View control drawer
- Fixed data inconsistencies in the browser
- Fixed crash that sometimes could occur when changing/removing search criteria in the browser
- Fixed "missing lap" problem where Ascent would not import laps created before satellites were acquired
- Fixed pace displays to be mm:ss
- Changed many (all?) instances of "heartrate" to "heart rate"
- Changed versioning scheme from x.xx to x.x.x
- Added version number strings for finder "Get Info" and other displays
rob
Site Admin

Postby rob on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:56 pm

One bug has surfaced in 1.1.2:

Browser column settings are not being saved/restored with the document.

There will be a 1.1.3 version posted soon that fixes this.
rob
Site Admin

Postby rob on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:49 am

1.8.0 Improvements and Bug Fixes

PLEASE BACK UP (MAKE COPIES OF) ALL OF YOUR ASCENT ACTIVITY DOCUMENTS BEFORE INSTALLING THIS UPDATE! Significant changes were made to the document file format.

<li>New Feature: more compact look and feel, better use of space, metallic texture in the main browser window</li>

<li>New Feature: added new "Split Pane View" in main window, with draggable dividers in the main browser, so that the different areas in the main screen can be resized or made to disappear completely if desired</li>

<li>New Feature: added Cocoa toolbar with several button/popup and segmented control widgets</li>

<li>New Feature: CALENDAR VIEW added to main browser, access it by using the segmented control in the toolbar</li>

<li>New Feature: added support for activity SPLITS: "Split Graph" as a new main browser sub-pane, with selectable data items to graph and split lengths (including a "custom" length). "Split Table" as a new main browser sub-pane, showing data for splits, with customizable columns via right (or control-clicking) any column header</li>

<li>New Feature: added "Add and Edit Activity" dialog. Activities can now be manually entered (via "Add Activity...") if exercise computer data is not available. Also, activity data can be entered via "Edit Activity..." to override some of the items reported by the exercise computer</li>

<li>New Feature: replaced Garmin calorie calculation with a different algorithm that should produce more accurate results</li>

<li>New Feature: added "Change Distance Method..." dialog and related Advanced preference for determining whether to use the distance supplied by the sync device (which may have problems) or the distance calculated from GPS location data (which may have dropouts)</li>

<li>New Feature: laps can now be added and deleted. To add a lap, go to the Activity Detail view, drag the yellow ball/HUD to the desired position, and choose "Insert Lap Marker..." from the contextual popup menu. To delete a lap, position the yellow ball/HUD in front of the lap marker you want to delete, and choose "Remove Lap Marker..." from the popup</li>

<li>New Feature: using the search widget in the main browser, activities can now be filtered by activity type or equipment</li>

<li>New Feature: when in search mode, the browser can now show any of the hierarchical views (years, months, weeks), so that totals of the search results can be obtained</li>

<li>New Feature: updated "User" preferences to include "Birth Date", "Gender", "Height", and "V02Max". Also added calculation for Body Mass Index (BMI), and user picture</li>

<li>Re-worked "stats" pane (shows max/min values and where they occurred) in the main browser to be simpler and formatted into a table</li>

<li>Fixed bug in Summary View causing the color key boxes for "Average Heart Rate" and "Cadence" to be incorrect.</li>

<li>Fixed problem in GPX import that was preventing import of tracks within a file where 2 or more of the tracks lacked start time information</li>

<li>Moved "Default Activity" and "Default Equipment" to "General" preferences pane</li>

<li>Fixed several bugs in gradient-related and average moving speed/pace calculations that produce inaccurate data</li>

<li>Export features now default to save to the desktop</li>

<li>Fixed .tcx export bug where activities without laps or valid GPS data would not save track points</li>

<li>Fixed window positioning problems so that windows are always repositioned at the same location as where they last appeared</li>
</ul>
rob
Site Admin

Postby stevek on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:45 am

Thanks for your hard work, looks good. :D

Steve
stevek

Postby andyp on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:07 pm

Rob,

Thanks for the update.

Cheers

Andy

p.s. Sorry for my mistake regarding the average speed in the 'add activity' . Ascent (you) were correct, it was the end of a long day for me!
andyp

Postby michaelm on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:34 pm

Wow, it looks great but one issue so far - every time I try to add a manual entry I get the following error message "*** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (-1) beyond bounds (0)". Any idea what is going on?

Thanks for the update.

Mike
michaelm

Postby rob on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks for the report! This bug snuck in at the last moment, expect a 1.8.1 update shortly.

Edited By rob on 1192997083
rob
Site Admin

Postby kurterle on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm getting the same message as Mike. The betas worked great. Squashing those bugs will drive you nuts, won't it? I'm entering data in the Title, Duration, and Distance fields.
kurterle

Postby rob on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:11 pm

Fixed in 1.8.1, now available for download.
rob
Site Admin

Postby nnovod on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:18 pm

The split interface is great: creative and complete. One question: Is there any way to export the values into a spreadsheet or a way to just cut and paste them all into an editor?

Thanks for a great new release.
nnovod

Postby kurterle on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:43 pm

As I have said in this forum and elsewhere, and to anyone who would listen, I have never found a program with better customer support than this one. A bug fix with a new version in a few hours after the bug is found? Truly amazing. Rob, you will have my business forever.
kurterle

Postby michaelm on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:28 am

Thanks Rob, it works brilliantly and am now busy adding in all of my old data so that Ascent is the one place to hold it all.

Superb update and great service with the bug fix in less than 2 hours! Amazing stuff.

Thanks again and will be recommending this to more of my running friends!

Best wishes

Mike
michaelm

Postby kiwi on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 pm

The new version is very good

I sugest that you post the software in Apple's web site, as a lot of us review it upon looking for specific software
kiwi

Postby rob on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm

Thanks, just submitted Ascent to "apple downloads" yesterday, awaiting their review and approval... :-)
rob
Site Admin

Postby Calli46 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:28 pm

Just downloaded 1.8.1 and gave it a try : truly brilliant software!!! Everything seems to work quite well. I love the new customizable panes and the calendar. Speaking of the calendar, is it possible to go from one day to the next one using the keyboard ? I tried with the arrows and control keys + arrows but to no avail. I had to use the mouse to click on the next day.

A wonderful app, none the less. Tx for the great work, Rob.
I'd rather have a signature
Calli46

Next

Return to Announcements