1.10.0 Released

New versions of Ascent will be announced here

1.10.0 Released

Postby rob on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Use auto-update, or download from:

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/downl ... 1.10.0.zip

PLEASE BACK UP YOUR ASCENT ACTIVITY DOCUMENT(S) BEFORE INSTALLING AND RUNNING THIS NEW RELEASE

- Equipment Log feature added - tracks how many miles and how much time each equipment item is used. Multiple equipment items can now be specified per activity. For each equipment item, a maintenance log is provided to track mileage and time between maintenance events. Custom equipment pictures can be imported into the log for each equipment item.

- Peak Power Interval support added - in the Activity Detail display, peak power intervals can be shown for various durations (possible settings are made in the drawer below the window).

- Power data is now calculated based on gradient, user+equipment weight, and speed if no power data from a power meter is available.

- Garmin Sync widget added - uses the Garmin browser plug-in to read activities from your Garmin device and imports them into Ascent, providing an alternative sync method to Ascent's native sync (NOTE: this feature is experimental).

- Overall performance has been greatly improved, especially within the main browser and during searches.

- Notes field in the main browser can now be edited directly (no popup window anymore).

- Fixed many bugs.
rob
Site Admin

Re: 1.10.0 Released

Postby janm399 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:08 am

Fantastic effort, Rob! It's good to see that you have not abandoned Ascent.
janm399

Re: 1.10.0 Released - bugs

Postby tom325 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Shutdown of application leads to error message of unexpected quit.

Equipment log - updates EVERY time the file is opened - this update should only take place the first time the activity file is updated to new format. Lots of wasted time.

Tom
tom325

Postby ryan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Just noticed that if you look at the weekly view(Browser View -> All Weeks), it is not dealing with 28th to 31st of December 2009 - it is simply not being included for that weeks summary.

Nice to see more power features.
ryan

Postby rob on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:26 am

Tom -

When you say the "Equipment log - updates EVERY time the file is opened", do you mean you get the progress bar that says "converting activities to new equipment log format..."?

It should only do this the *first* time you open a document using 1.10.0 -- unless the crash you are seeing happens before you are able to save the document.

Regarding your shutdown crash:
- what windows are open when you quit the app and get the "unexpected quit"? Does it happen every time?
- what did you do within Ascent before the "unexpected quit" occurred?
- does it generate a crash log? If so, can you send it to support@montebellosoftware.com?

Any and all details appreciated...
rob
Site Admin

Postby georg on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:34 pm

Cosmetics, but bugs me a long time already:

In metrics we do have a period as a thousand-devider, not a comma. So I switch to metric and like to see a period instead of a comma as a devider. Most convinient would be if you use the system prefs, Rob. MacOSX knows what I'm talking about :lol:

System prefs pane:
Greetings
Georg
georg

Postby tom325 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:10 pm

rob wrote:Tom -

When you say the "Equipment log - updates EVERY time the file is opened", do you mean you get the progress bar that says "converting activities to new equipment log format..."?

It should only do this the *first* time you open a document using 1.10.0 -- unless the crash you are seeing happens before you are able to save the document.

Regarding your shutdown crash:
- what windows are open when you quit the app and get the "unexpected quit"? Does it happen every time?
- what did you do within Ascent before the "unexpected quit" occurred?
- does it generate a crash log? If so, can you send it to support@montebellosoftware.com?

Any and all details appreciated...

Rob - the issues have gone away. I also separated out 2007 and 2008 ride activity into separate files - too many entries getting re-written every time I closed the file/saved.

The shutdown message also has gone (it did pop in moments after Ascent had closed all windows). There must have been some interruption or corruption that finally was cleaned out - can't say.

Now I only get two panes after the splash screen and before the activity list - opening activity document and then updating equipment log - which only shows very briefly. So it appears everything is working OK.

Tom
tom325

Postby jehan on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm working with the OSx Tiger 10,4 and downloaded the 1,10,0 release by mistake!
Result, no start up of Ascent.....

Can I download the previouse version 1,9,17 again to fix it?
Is the key still working then?

grts
Johan
jehan

Postby rob on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:01 am

Johan,

Starting with version 1.10.0, Ascent no longer supports Tiger (10.4.x). We had to do this so we could take advantage of new features in MacOSX such as Core Animation. Tiger was released in 2005 -- it's time to upgrade! :)

You can either:

- (recommended) upgrade to Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6)

or

- continue to use Ascent 1.9.17 -- your current data file(s) should work fine. You can either drag the previous Ascent program from the trash back to your /Applications folder, or download Ascent 1.9.17 from here:

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/downl ... 1.9.17.zip

Sorry for any inconvenience,
rob
Site Admin

Postby dugazul on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:08 am

I've had a hard time with this release. I'm running snow leopard on a macpro and after a restart of the computer I got it to sync once with my edge 305. Next time was a nightmare. I restarted the computer twice, totally crashed Ascent once, reset the garmin and for reasons unknown to me, finally got it to sync this morning.
What is the best way to go back to an older version that I know works (1.9.7)?
Thanks, Doug
dugazul

Postby rob on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:33 am

Doug,
1.10.0 had no changes in any of the normal sync code (CMD-L) from the previous version 1.9.17, so I'm not sure what the problems could be.

Can you please check out this note in the FAQ section:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=632

In addition to its "normal" sync method, Ascent 1.10.0 also has a new, experimental sync widget that may work better for you than Ascent's normal sync algorithm. To try it out, plug in your 305 and press SHIFT-CMD-L (or select "Garmin Sync Widget" from the "File" menu).

If you still are experiencing crashes, it would help immensely if you could send the crash logs to support@montebellosoftware.com.

And finally, if you want to download the previous version of Ascent, it is here:

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/downl ... 1.9.17.zip

Please note that activity files saved in 1.10.x will NOT load in 1.9.17.
rob
Site Admin

Return to Announcements